Sunday, July 03, 2005

ramblings...

It's the day before the Fourth of July. I love July, not only because I can dress the kids in Americana outfits, go watch fireworks and have an Americana themed Pekeno party, I also love the patriotic events that seem to come out of everywhere. Yesterday I watched a ton of cool movies...Black Hawk Down, We Were Soldiers Once and Young, Hart's War... etc it was some patriotic themed movie marathon! Yipee! My favorite. I am not sure why I love these things so much. Maybe because I was raised on a military base in the Philippines. Maybe because I was born during the Vietnam War and my father was over there when I was born until after I was walking. I think I've loved the military ever since. I truly can't wait to get our orders so we can move back to a military post again. This is the first time in my life that I have lived more than a ten minute drive from a military installation. (Fort Polk is over an hour away) I am not particularly fond of the civilian community. I miss the camaraderie, the instant friends that you can meet at the commissary or PX. The neighbors that are from all parts of the country and have a more global view of the world, as opposed to these civilians who have never left the state of their birth. It seems they are just so closed minded. For instance...I love it when people tell me they hate sushi and then proceed to tell me they've never tasted it. I didn't love the idea of eating raw fish myself so the first time I tried it I didn't like it either...But at least I tried it before I formed an opinion, now I really love it. We even make it at home sometimes.
I tell you living in Louisiana has been quite the experience. People here will turn their nose up to clean, fresh raw fish yet swarm to mounds of muddy crawfish ready to squeeze the heads off, crack the bodies open getting their fingers all nasty for this tiny piece of gritty, sandy meat. Too much work for such a small morsel of not so great tasting food. That's my opinion of course but you know I have tried it on more than one occasion. I can honestly say I don't really care for it.
My
sister started her blog and I hope she keeps up with it better than I am. She has a ton of funny stories from her hilarious family. When ever I talk to her my face just aches from laughing so much. So keep it up Fern! I can't wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

Happy 4th Girlie. Miss you bunches and glad to FINALLY see a new post.

8:13 AM, July 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home