Friday, May 04, 2007

Where in the World is Jack Army?

I know I know...opsec and all. But sheesh man I am over here waiting and waiting for some sort of news. An email or a phone call would be awesome. Snail mail is ridiculous from there the girls and I got a letter on April 14th that was mailed by Jack on Oct. 12, 2006!!!
I realize "no news is good news" but I would really love some news. Some one commented over at Jack Army about a blanket order not to blog or email with out commander approval. What the hell? Like the commanders don't have enough to do over there that they gotta be the email police too? This is crazy! Here's part of that comment...ugh

Army Squeezes Soldier Blogs, Maybe to Death

Noah Shachtman 05.02.07 2:00 AM AP

The U.S. Army has ordered soldiers to stop posting to blogs or sending
personal e-mail messages, without first clearing the content with a superior
officer, Wired News has learned. The directive, issued April 19, is the sharpest
restriction on troops' online activities since the start of the Iraq war. And it
could mean the end of military blogs, observers say. Military officials have
been wrestling for years with how to handle troops who publish blogs. Officers
have weighed the need for wartime discretion against the opportunities for the
public to personally connect with some of the most effective advocates for the
operations in Afghanistan and Iraq -- the troops themselves. The secret-keepers
have generally won the argument, and the once-permissive atmosphere has slowly
grown more tightly regulated. Soldier-bloggers have dropped offline as a result.
The new rules (.pdf) obtained by Wired News require a commander be consulted
before every blog update.


can't figure out how to turn off indention but ... pretend it's off.
So...now I am a bit concerned. If I have to go the next 7 months (thanks
to the extension) with no communication I am going to have myself a little meltdown. I don't know how my mom took care of 3 babies and had her fourth (me) while my dad was in Vietnam. They did get to talk on the phone but the telephone
connection was so bad my dad thought my mom named his fourth daughter
Baron after him. I guess he thought she was so distraught after having yet another girl no boys. HA So at least I'm not having any more babies. My three are quite the handful themselves. Having them makes the separation all that more 'in your face' though. Like when the littlest one just out of the blue says "I can't remember daddy's face" That's enough to send me right over the edge. I started crying the poor little girl. Even though logically you can't escape all the pictures of Jack in our home. Screen saver on the computer is Jack, refrigerator has Jack all over it...pictures on the bulletin board...maps of where he is...he's everywhere. but for a four year old to just come up with that is just so heartbreaking words can't describe. Her older sister sleeps with Jack's T-shirts at night and when they "lost his smell" we spray a little of his cologne on. I do the same thing to my pillow. I don't know if that makes it better or worse. These are the things the politicians in Washington need to think about when they extend the troops. Fifteen months is an eternity to a preschooler, not to mention the moms of those preschoolers. I know we all appreciate our troops and know we need them there. But I still miss Jack and hope some politician somewhere lets him get back on the internet soon.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea that was me that posted that on Jack's site. I figured something was up after weeks of no updates.But the again who knows. Anyway hang in there. Keep the kids heads up.
Tanker

5:51 PM, May 04, 2007  
Blogger Angel said...

Hey Jill! How's Hawai'i. My husband is stationed there as well but my kids and i live in Georgia due to health issues with my son.

I have mixed feelings about this blog thing with the soldiers. MY concern is the spouses' blog. I have read 3 blogs of spouses who have PICTURES of the FOB their soldier is at posted on their Blog, which we both know violates OPSEC. If there were a way the soldier can blog and only have their select friends and family reading the blog, like on myspace.com, for example.

I understand the fear you are going through. Deployment #2, I didn't hear from my husband for 2 weeks..My husband finally borrowed the Chaplin's phone and called me to let me know. I understand the need to hear from your soldier he is on Deployment #3 now. Keep your head up! I'm going thru the same thing with ya!! Let me know if you need anything.

4:00 AM, May 05, 2007  
Blogger Diver Bob said...

I see Jack is back and safe. Anna keeps him in her prayers every night. Maybe you need a "vacation" from paradise. You are welcome here anytime, we have plenty of room in our new house. Keep yourself and the little princesses safe.

9:59 AM, May 06, 2007  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh it is sooo good to see Jack is back! I am sure you were a mess waiting! I would go to Katy page daily basis just to see if he had posted. LOL You all will remain in my prayers for the safe and quick return!

5:09 AM, May 07, 2007  
Blogger Barb said...

I hope the Army doesn't bite off more than it can chew ... but I agree that there are many troops / familiy members who don't consider the effect of what they post. I know they wouldn't endanger their own soldiers, they just don't see the downside potential. I know of at least one soldier who simply quit blogging altogether while he was in country, when the rule came down to register their blogs with their commands. He's back in the states now and blogging again (new site), but he just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

Still - that should not affect the troops ability to email their family and friends. Totally different issue!

1:51 PM, May 08, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

How's everybody? Hawaii? Great? I have a friend who was a military. Have a vacation there with his family. And that place was nice.

4:19 PM, June 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home