Thursday, August 09, 2007

Pleasant boot camp environment?

I had to chuckle when I saw this article on possible new recruiting incentives and ideas. What exactly is a more pleasant boot camp experience? I mean don't get me wrong, I myself have never been to boot camp. I can only imagine what it must be like. Like others who haven't been, my imagination is assisted by movies that show these poor pitifully shaved souls being woken up at the butt crack of dawn, screamed at and made to run crazy distances singing silly songs. Doesn't paint a pleasant picture to me. To say "make a more pleasant ...environment" suggests it had some pleasantries already. I wonder if those who have been just leave those pleasant parts out to make it appear more strenuous and difficult. I mean if it sounded like a bed and breakfast would everyone join the military? Pleasant boot camp experience? I might even consider it. Especially now that they are taking old, out of shape recruits. Sign me up!! (As long as they can make war a little more pleasant too of course)
I know I know you all feel safer already. Ha ha
PS don't worry mom and Jack, I'd never quit my day-job...it's way too much fun. wink wink

4 Comments:

Blogger Scully's Moulder said...

::snickers:: Oh, yes. It's a "kinder, gentler" military now. On a somewhat serious note, they don't call it "Relaxin Jackson" for nothing. DSs don't do near as much yelling and stressing the recruits now. The Army has decided that they'll get enough stress in Iraq. Did you hear that they're also giving incentives of up to $45K now to enlist?

10:12 AM, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Barb said...

Why would we want to make it more pleasant? Isn't the point to train Soldiers (Marines, etc.), not send them to day camp? heh.

8:21 AM, August 15, 2007  
Blogger Green said...

$45K!! Where's my recruiter??

9:47 AM, August 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say, my son entered the world of the Army at the beginning of the month in, beautiful, humid SC. And he has rarely complained about "bootcamp" other than the morons who are in his platoon. He rather enjoys it. The structure and PT are his favorite. So I do think there is a "new" bootcamp as opposed to the one we all heard about. But he definetly didn't get 45K infact he didn't get anything and when I hunt down his recruiter....I don't care that he got into Helicopter school or that he is so smart that it's considered a prime assignment, the dirtbag lied.

5:33 AM, August 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home